Monday 7 October 2013

Nina Baker Q&A

Photography by: Rob Bridge
Your name:
Nina Baker.

Where are you from?
I am from a family of Londoners. I grew up in Norwich and currently live in Warwickshire.

Who else is in your band?
I am a soloist, though I have a range of wonderful musicians that I play with.

How would you describe yourselves?
Quiet flame-haired pianist who loves tea, cake, but put me on stage and I turn into a bit of a demon.

Who are your main influences musically?
I would say that my main musical influences stem from Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone, Amy Winehouse, Alicia Keys, Kate Bush and Tori Amos. I love each of these artists unique vocal sound and style in performance. As a classically trained pianist there is a huge classical influence in all of my music as well. Artists like pianist Lang Lang completely mesmerise me in their technique and showmanship when performing and I am driven by those classical chord structures and harmonies when composing.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I would love my music to reach places and people I currently cannot see. If my songs can provide solace and comfort for an individual, or an anthem for a room of people to go crazy to, or inspire someone to want to learn the piano then that will be success.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
It would be very easy to say the recognition that I have received through the MTV Brand New Unsigned competition or exposure through BBC Introducing, but at a personal level, completing my debut album ‘Quite Frankly’ has been the highlight. 
And I don’t mean because of where we have made the record, at the likes of Rockfield, The Church and Abbey Road Studios, I mean actually completing it. A lot of care, attention to detail and passion has gone into this record, it is brilliant to actually see it finished.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
I would like, in time, to forget the personal loss whilst making the album, and that I was in studios when I should have been other places.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
That is a VERY difficult question! My songs are so diverse, bridging a range of genres, but a common thread is that they take you on a journey musically & lyrically. 
A track such as “Breaking Every Rule” epitomises this, starting as a piano vocal, talking about some very raw subjects, and just when you are getting comfortable and have a certain expectancy, there is a very sudden mood change and the track finishes very differently. That is a Nina Baker track.

Where can we listen to it?
'Single Bed' will be the first release from my debut 'Quite Frankly' and is due for release on all digital outlets on November 4th. The album ‘Quite Frankly’ will be available digitally from 6th.

Where can we find out more about your music?
For all updates, posts, music links, music videos, behind the scenes sneaky bits, you can find me on:

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?
Keep an eye on my YouTube channel for the official video of my first single “Single Bed”. It is an animated video by renowned digital animator Steve Jones. It has been six months in the making and is a really funny video, which with your help, it could do well. Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment