Friday 21 March 2014

I Am Snow Angel Q&A

Picture by Carl Timpone
Your name: 
I Am Snow Angel (also known as Julie Kathryn).

Where are you from?  
Lake Placid, New York. Right now I live in New York City.

Who is in your band?
Just me although I love to collaborate :)

How would you describe yourselves? 
Dreamy futuristic synth-pop.

Who are your main influences musically?  
For this project, I looked to The Postal Service, Thom Yorke and The XX. I've also been listening to Depeche Mode quite a bit lately.

What do you hope to achieve in music? 
To manifest musically the lush sonic landscape that I hear in my head. And of course, to reach as many people as possible with my music.

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why? 
So far the highlight of my career has been learning to engineer and produce my own music. I've been singing, writing and playing instruments my whole life. but "I Am Snow Angel" is the first project that I am actually producing myself, It's fun and liberating!

And what’s the moment you want to forget? 
Honestly. I don't want to forget anything -- even the unpleasant moments -- because I've learned something valuable from everything I've experienced.  For example, it was unfortunate to be underestimated as a musician (this happened to me from time to time when I was younger.) But as a result, I've learned to assert myself. I've pushed myself to learn new skills (like programming, producing) so that I can have complete control over my music.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?  
I think "Let Me Go" is representative of my music and where I'm at right now. It combines organic elements (spiritual lyrics and traditional songwriting) with electronic elements (beats and synthesizers); this fusion accurately represents me.




Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?
I am currently recording my next "I Am Snow Angel" album. It looks like it'll be a full length album (or maybe two EPs). I am super excited about it. I've learned a lot these last few months, and I'm really pleased with how this project is evolving. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment