Tuesday 3 June 2014

The Angeles Project Q&A

Picture by Sal Rubin
Your name:  
Mimi R.

Where are you from?  
Los Angeles, California.

Name of band:
The Angeles Project.

Who else is in your band?
The Angeles Project is my new solo venture, in collaboration with producer Andrew Brassell, who most recently has been writing and touring with Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles. He's got a great pop sensibility and serious instrumental chops, which you can hear on all the tracks - as a songwriter, it's awesome to work with someone with those kinds of skills in the studio. We both love performing, too, and look forward to rocking some more live shows once we finish the EP!

How would you describe yourselves?
80s-tinged, female-fronted California garage pop.

Who are your main influences musically?
My influences vary widely depending on the style of music I'm writing at the time. I love the songwriting of Emily Haines (both with Metric and solo), although my own work has a more oddball, lighter touch. On this project I've been inspired by Jonathan Richman and The Modern Lovers, 80s pop generally, and the sincere, quirky lyricism of The Magnetic Fields.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
To keep enjoying the ride and putting out work I'm proud of.  

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
Every new listener is a highlight! And I love independent and underground radio - in fact, our next single is called Radio - so having The Angeles Project's music be discovered and played by indie radio stations worldwide has been really fun. 

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
I almost shelved these songs early on, because I was so busy with other projects. Now, I'm so glad I took the time to finish them and get them out there - the positive reception to the first two singles has been really rewarding, and we have several more in the pipeline.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
Our first single Your Name In Lights. It's gritty and joyful at the same time, combining an upbeat pop feel with groovy California garage rock. I wrote the entire song at 3am after an epic New Year's Eve in San Francisco, and am super pleased with how it came out in the studio.

Where can we listen to it? 



Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?

The sound and feel of these songs are also rooted in a real sense of place - California in general and in particular my home of North East Los Angeles, which is a really vibrant, creative area of the city. Our first music video (or two!) should be out this summer, capturing some of that same spirit and appreciation for this community.

No comments:

Post a Comment