Friday 15 May 2015

Captain A & The Commercial Monsters Q&A

Your name:
Eoghan / Captain A.

Where are you from?
North West Ireland. Donegal to be precise. It's the same rocks that make up the Scottish Highlands. It's coastal and rugged postcard Ireland.

Name of band: 
Captain A & The Commercial Monsters.

Who else is in your band?
Well I'm addicted to collaboration so there have been about 20 or 30 people through the doors over the years. I basically just borrow people from other bands so we play with different line-ups all the time. The live band right now is, with the band I'm stealing them from: Rohan on bass (Velvet Alibi), Neil on keys (Comrade Hat), Orlaith on clarinet/vox/sax (Calamity Gin), Mike on drums (The Poxmen), Fionn on guitar (The Caledonia Highly Strung Orchestra).  

How would you describe yourselves?
Oh dear, I've made about 10 albums over past ten years. I like to change genre every record. There was Asian folk, Irish folk, electric things but i suppose the main thing I do is big collaboration. The 'Dreams' record I'd say is melodic, psychedelic, experimental, layered megapop. Live we really go for the traditional band thing, big noise, lots of wig outs and harmonies and crescendos and things. 

Who are your main influences musically?
The past few years I'd say Bowie, various prog, lots of soundtrack music. My voice is in the range of Cohen and I often come back to 'I'm Your Man' when I need a kick as it was big record to me as a teen. I'm happy with noise as I am with lyrics, melody is everything though. 

What do you hope to achieve in music?
Exactly what I'm doing right now. Being surrounded by great musicians and making lots of sounds. More live shows would be nice. 

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
There is nothing I like more than when at the end of a gig, you can feel a buzz in the room that didn't exist before the tunes began. People are up, chatting, glowing. I think that might be what it's for. 

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Bad sound, lost in translation. Not good for gig goers or bands either. 

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
I'd pick something from the 'Dreams' record - it's not out yet though. From that record I've come to see 'Friday Night Amazing Light' as getting closest to what I'm trying to do on record. I barely play on it myself, I just kept instigating people to do their own thing and one morning I just woke up and this beautiful thing had emerged. Right now, only 'Richer' is public - it definitely represents the Dreams album - changing the instruments a few times in the tune without losing it, very lush sounds, collaboration, more than one singer, a bit trippy and honest. 

Where can we listen to it?


Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your band/music that I forgot to ask?
Place all of your negative thoughts into a tuna sandwich, hand feed it to a crow.

No comments:

Post a Comment