Friday 15 May 2015

Conor Dardis Q&A

Your name:
Conor Dardis.

Where are you from?
Dublin, but I live in Preston.

How would you describe yourselves and your music?
I call my music Immigrant Suburban Folk. It started as a tongue-in-cheek thing but it's kind of stuck. 
My songs generally carry a narrative and are framed in the working-class setting of the Dublin suburb I grew up in; Clondalkin. They are stories that are happening to people every day and I hope that's what makes them resonate with the listener. There are lots of songs about the romance of cities and lots about beautiful wide open spaces, but simple stories set in the suburbs where most of us live are thin on the ground so I made the decision early on to focus on writing about them.

Who are your main influences musically?
Shack, Springsteen and Mazzy Star with some Billy Bragg and Wilco 'Mermaid Avenue' thrown in there.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
The dream right now is to record a great album; one that the listener can get lost in. 

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
The guys over at Wasted Years Records were the first to review my music and compared it to Springsteen and Johnny Cash. To paraphrase my best mate Jim's reaction, 'How could it ever get better?'.

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
Forgetting lyrics on stage was not my finest hour.

If you had to pick just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
The Ballad Of The Butchers Wife.

Where can we listen to it? 


Where can we find out more about your music? 
You can follow me on Twitter @cjdardis and soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/conordardis

Anything else you’d like to say about your music that I forgot to ask?
I think the reward for anyone listening to my music lies in empathy with, or at the very least, understanding of the characters and the narratives in the lyrics. The melodies and instrumentation are deliberately simple to aid the delivery of the stories. So if you take the time to listen, listen closely.

1 comment:

  1. This man is the scum of the earth. Write a song about that!

    ReplyDelete