Wednesday 19 June 2013

Natalie Duke Q&A

Your name:
Natalie Duke.

Where are you from?
Chicago by way of Nashville, US.

Name of band:
When I play with a full backing band, we are called Natalie Duke and the Reckless Revival. Otherwise, just Natalie Duke.

Who else is in your band?
Jack Beshoar rocks lead guitar and keys, Tyler Eckhart wails on the drums, Tom Moran slaps the bass, Lisa Duke belts out the backing vocals and occasionally strums a uke, and I handle lead vocals, a vocal looping machine, and occasionally, rarely, some acoustic guitar and hand percussion.

How would you describe yourselves?
I believe my music to be catchy, smart, and honest. Sometimes a little edgy, sarcastic, maybe even a bit funny, but always real. With my bad-ass backing band behind me, I feel like the music is taken to a whole new level. I love that I can share a stage with musicians that are not only great players, but also really support and appreciate my music. 

Who are your main influences musically?
I feel like every artist I have loved has influenced me. Jeff Buckley taught me how to vocally emote, The Beatles taught me how to write a great pop song, Led Zeppelin taught me how to rock, and the plethora of female artists I adore and emulate (St. Vincent, Kate Nash, Fiona Apple, Feist, Kimbra, Janis Joplin, Jenny Lewis, Adele, the list goes on and on) taught me that women can be emotionally and musically diverse and can rock just as many faces off as men can.

What do you hope to achieve in music?
I just want to create and perform music. That's it. Yes, I want people to like it. Even better, I want people to relate to it. But all I really want to do is write songs, record them, make records, and then play those songs in front of people, be it 5 people or 5 million people. 

What has been the highlight of your career so far, and why?
The moment I realized that I was over my ridiculous, irrational, debilitating stage fright. I used to dread performing in front of an audience and would avoid it at all costs. Eventually, I realized I had to do it to get over it. And I had to do it a lot. And I did. And it worked. I got over it. I still get nervous sometimes, but never as bad as it was in the beginning. That's a huge accomplishment to me - better than any outside recognition or acclaim. 

And what’s the moment you want to forget?
I don't want to forget any of it. Even the rough patches have taught me things I needed to learn.
  
If you could choose just one of your songs to represent your music, what would it be and why?
Black Sheep. I feel like it best represents who I really am as a writer, a vocalist, and a person. It has a feminist edge to it, but mostly it's about just being yourself and not giving into society's expectations of you. 

Where can we listen to it?
http://soundcloud.com/natalieduke/black-sheep and you can download it for free!


Where can we find out more about your music?

Anything else you’d like to say about your band that I forgot to ask?

Hmmm....well, we are taking a quick trip down south in August, so look out for show dates in Missouri, Tennessee, and Ohio. Also, I've got a bunch of new stuff I'm itching to record, so expect a second release (most likely an EP) hopefully this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment